Wednesday 4 May 2011

It's Official

..the PM is an allotment supporter

Today's PM Question Time

Mike Gapes (Ilford South) (Lab/Co-op): "More than 100 years ago, Parliament legislated to make sure that local authorities provided allotments. Healthy local food is a very good part of good British values. Why therefore are the Prime Minister’s Government scrapping the obligation on local authorities to provide allotments?"

The Prime Minister: "I was as concerned as the hon. Gentleman when I read that report. I immediately checked, and found that that is not the case. It is extremely important that allotments are made available. Many Members will find that when they ask about that in their constituencies there are massive queues for allotments, as many people want to grow their own vegetables and food and understand more about where food comes from. It is a great movement, and it has my full support. "

Source Hansard:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmtoday/cmdebate/02.htm

Thanks to everyone who signed the online petition.

You know there are Council and Scottish Parliament elections afoot: - The man is telling his candidates - Just rememember there are votes in allotments (but not really commiting to anything in the process.)  Oh, politicians make my skin crawl.

Here's something else I spotted today. It really cheered me up:

1 comment:

  1. I think that the politicians are all the same no matter what country you live in!

    ReplyDelete